It seems like every blog I see on my Bloglovin’ feed this morning is talking about what an incredible/awesome/spectacular year 2013 was. Maybe I’m still a bit exhausted from it all, but I’ll come out and say 2013 wasn’t all roses and rainbows. That’s not to say there aren’t a hundred (or more!) things for which I’m very, very grateful, but we definitely had a lot of challenges. Most popped up in the last quarter of the year, so it’s all still fresh in my mind and in my heart. That said, I’m not mad at ya, 2013. I’m just happy to pack you up and replace you with your newer, shinier model. No hard feelings, k?
Here’s a list of what went down in 2013, in no particular order. (Most of these links are to Instagram photos!)
- We ate mussels on Jay’s 31st birthday, and they were delicious.
- I turned 30 and we had a party at a wine bar.
- I drank a lot of wine.
- And champagne. And beer. And whiskey. And cocktails.
- I got my first paid sponsorships for the blog, and I’m proud to see this site continue to grow.
- My dog and best friend, Paris, passed away the day before Thanksgiving after a long, brave battle with cancer.
- I started eating meat again. (My dad thinks this is the greatest thing ever!)
- We had a cookout for Father’s Day in our alley, which sounds weird, but it was a blast and the food was delicious!
- I spent Mother’s Day shopping and lunching with my mom in Fredericksburg. We’re still mad that the pottery place was closed…
- I quit a dead end job and got a great new job where I get to write about food and direct/style food photo shoots.
- I bought my first UVA football season tickets for what was probably their worst season ever.
- On that note, I was excited to meet Coach Tony Bennett, Coach Mike London and a few players at a Virginia Athletics Foundation event.
- I gained a bunch of weight because of a medicine I was taking. I stopped that medicine eventually, but this will be reflected in my goals for 2014.
- Cheetah cam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Jay went to the hospital and we found out he had a pulmonary embolism. I’d never had to call 911 to my house before, so that was a milestone.
- I had a cancer scare that required surgery. Ugh.
- I completed over half of my 101 in 1001 goals. The term ended in September, and I’ll be starting a new one on Monday.
- I went to the farmers market most Saturdays. It’s one of my favorite things to do.
- I showed you my refrigerator.
- We had a lot of fun with friends and family this year. I’m so grateful for that.
- Our rescue chihuahua Atlas started playing with us more. (Search #dailyatlas on Instagram.)
- I made limoncello, infused vodkas and whiskeys, and caramels.
- I started canning.
- I started making my own bread.
- I started baking (finally) and made a cake that looked like a guitar.
- I participated in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap for the first time.
- I joined the Cooper Vineyards wine club.
- I made a lot of eggs. More eggs in 2014.
- I went to the Washington Redskins training camp.
- I blew up an eggplant!
- I met Joy the Baker and Weelicious.
- Jay never succeeded at beating me in Scrabble. Sorry, boo. :(
- I got to spend lots of time with my boo. Hey, darlin. Thanks for spending 2013 with me.
- My favorite color was gray.
- My favorite local happening was the Richmond Mural Project. Especially this one.
- My favorite thing that is over is the cicadas. *shudder*
- My favorite vegetable was butternut squash, even though it’s technically a fruit.
The Most Popular Posts of 2013
I’ve told you plenty about MY year, but here’s what YOU were looking at on STU in 2013!
Tomorrow, we can talk about 2014 and all the exciting things to come. Today was a big clink of the glass to 2013, and also to you, for another year together. xo